NAU MAI HAERE MAI KI MANGONUI SCHOOL

Sunday 26 February 2012

Jaxon Hall - Hiwi the Kiwi Writing Winner




Jaxon wrote this awesome story to win the Hiwi the Kiwi Competition, scoring a new fishing rod! Tara, Sadie, Dhannis and Izaiah won prizes for putting in huge effort into their writing and will be going fishing with the Principal on Snapa Slapa a local charter boat. Big thanks to our local fishing club for making this possible.

NO  MORE  HUNGRY  FISH!

Finally after months of nagging my Dad gave in and finally took me fishing. We got all our burly and bait together. Grabbed our fishing rods and carried them all down to the beach.

 We marched around the sharp rocks. Theses rocks really hurt my feet, but my dad has tough feet, he doesn’t seem to mind them. Dad sets his sights and finds a good spot to fish. We put all the rotten, stinky, slimy and burly into the water to attract the fish. We set up our fishing rods and then cast our rods into the shiny water.

We sat back and waited and waited. It took ages but we finally started to feel little tiny bites nibbling our bait away. After feeding the fish a dozen or more times and sitting in the hot baking sun, I finally hooked up a beauty. My rod shook, and the tip bent right over nearly touching the water. I felt my body getting pulled towards the water. I began to wind this fish in, I heaved with all my might. My heart beat as fast as we played a game of tug-of-war.

Finally after minutes (but it seemed like hours) I started winning, it was getting closer and closer to the rocks. But the big wild fish gave its one last burst, my line went PING! and the fish swam away. I can’t believe my dinner swam away into the deep blue ocean.

After that we feed the fish a few more times, we decided the fish’s puku were full enough ( fuller than what we had for tea that night). So off we went home with grumbling tummies.

Jaxon Hall

10 years old

Mangonui School

No comments:

Post a Comment